Here’s what you need to know:
The new unitary council offers an exciting new beginning for Buckinghamshire and positive change for residents and communities across the county.
All members of the Shadow Authority are working together to deliver a smooth transition to the new Buckinghamshire Council, while ensuring the standard of existing services remains high.
- The new unitary authority will be called Buckinghamshire Council.
- It will go live on 1 April 2020.
- All five existing county and district councils in Buckinghamshire will cease to exist on 31 March 2020.
- There will be 147 elected members on the new Buckinghamshire Council (this works out as three per current county ward).
- Elections for the new Buckinghamshire Council will take place in May 2020, May 2025 and then every four years. Town and parish elections will coincide.
What are the benefits?
The new council will be more efficient and save money for taxpayers, helping to create a simpler, stronger and better value county-wide council.
Benefits of the unitary Buckinghamshire Council include:
Single point of contact
One council responsible for all services so you always know who to contact.
Reduced costs will leave more to spend on improving the services that matter to you.
Local level decision making
Through local working including working with parish and town councils, we will bring local services and decision making to your community.
Increased buying power
As one single authority we will be stronger and have a larger voice regionally and nationally.
Taking the best expertise from all five existing councils to make future services better for everyone across Buckinghamshire.
One authority will be accountable for the services provided.
How will it affect me?
There will be no immediate changes to services so don’t worry – your bins will still be collected as normal, the streets will still be cleaned and everything else you rely on day-to-day will carry on.
We will continue to keep you updated and inform you of any future service changes.
Wondering what the Shadow Authority is? See Shadow Authority for more information.