Buckinghamshire Council is seeking to appoint Independent Persons to promote and maintain high standards of conduct by its elected and co-opted members.
The council must have arrangements in place to investigate and make decisions on allegations that members may have failed to comply with the council’s code of conduct. These arrangements also apply to allegations that members of town and parish councils in Buckinghamshire may have failed to comply with the council’s code of conduct adopted by their council.
The views of an Independent Person are sought, and taken into account, before a decision is made on an allegation following a decision to investigate. The views of the Independent Person may also be sought on other matters and at other stages of the complaints process, by members of town and parish councils whose conduct is the subject of an allegation.
Independent Persons should:
- Develop and apply knowledge of the code of conduct
- Develop a clear understanding of the way in which local authorities work
- Read reports, briefings and background information in advance of any meeting
- Be inquisitive, open-minded and non-judgemental
- Be prepared to discuss issues and give views
- Be committed to a defined term of office
How to apply
Please download the application pack and return to the address at the end of the pack.
For further information or to request an application pack, please contact Mathew Bloxham or Leslie Ashton via email email@example.com or call 01895 837227.
Application packs can also be requested at the reception desk at each of the current councils:
- Aylesbury Vale District Council, The Gateway, Gatehouse Road, Aylesbury HP19 8FF
- Buckinghamshire County Council, Walton Street, Aylesbury HP20 1UY
- Chiltern District Council, King George V House, King George V Road, Amersham HP6 5AW
- South Bucks District Council, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham, Uxbridge UB9 4LH
- Wycombe District Council, Queen Victoria Road, High Wycombe HP11 1BB
All applications need to be received by midnight on 26 January.